Friday, November 6, 2009

Volunteering at the Ear

Have you heard about the Metropolitan Washington Ear? I recently volunteered to read aloud for the non-profit’s dial-in service that enables visually and physically disabled individuals to “read” (hear) the morning paper.

The Ear’s free services strive to substitute hearing for seeing, improving the lives of people with limited or no vision by allowing them to be well-informed, fully productive members of their families, their communities and the working world. In addition to the dial-in service, the organization offers radio reading and web-cast, audio description, tactile large print atlases and look-up service.

I wasn’t sure what some of these services entailed until I volunteered. I enjoyed my time at the Ear, and I encourage you to pass the information along to anyone you know who could use the services. Better yet, volunteer.

No comments: