To help you deal with the disruption to Metro during its safety improvements, here's some excellent information from Montgomery County Commuter Services:
It's Time: Make alternative commuting plans. Metrorail service on the Red Line will be extremely limited and slow during Metro's upcoming "Safety Surges" on these dates:
- August 1-7 (Continuous single tracking between Takoma and Silver Spring)
- August 9-18 (Continuous single tracking between Shady Grove and Twinbrook)
- October 10 - November 1 (Line segment shutdown between Ft. Totten and NoMa)
Choose Alternatives: Visit montgomerycountymd.gov/commute to explore your options.
- Montgomery County Ride On will provide additional bus service on certain routes and free shuttles between affected Metrorail stations. Ride On will also provide on-street ambassadors at affected Metrorail stations to help direct travelers to transit options. (WMATA plans to enhance Metrobus service in surge areas, too.)
- Consider MARC train, if your route aligns with their services.
- Bike sharing and car sharing can help you reach your destination when your nearest transit stop is a bit too far for walking. (Capital Bikeshare offers a special $2 single-trip fare during SafeTrack.)
- Join or form a carpool or vanpool. Call 240-773-TRIPS (8747), fill out the Commuter Connections ridematching form, or email us at mcdot.Trips.email@example.com for ridesharing assistance.
- Download the Commuter Connections mobile app (available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry).
- Telework is a great option for coping with Metro's SafeTrack surges. (See below for info from our recent telework webinar.)
- Email mcdot.CommuterServices@montgomerycountymd.gov to arrange on-site commuter information fairs for your employees.