Friday, September 6, 2013

Stephen's Take on his First Month

In the month since Stephen joined the team, he's been touring the county and visiting some of our hidden (and not-so-hidden) gems. Here's his perspective on what he's been doing:

My first few weeks working for Montgomery County have been an exciting time of learning and seeing all that goes on around the county. I had the opportunity to learn about the cutting edge technology that is being employed by Montgomery College’s Health Sciences division to give students as close to a real life experience in a hospital, using mannequins that can mimic everything from breathing irregularities to heart complications.

On a tour of two of the facilities that serve as business incubators, I saw how the development of new businesses in fields ranging from biotech to information technology are helping entrepreneurs get their companies off the ground, bringing good paying jobs with them.

I went on a field trip to some of the parks that dot the county, including Cabin John Regional Park with its ice rink, and the historic Josiah Henson Special Park. At the Red Wiggler Community Farm I got to sample some delicious cherry tomatoes, one of the several organic crops grown on the farm.

I know that this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of all that goes on in Montgomery County, and I am excited to learn more. Most of all, I am excited to be part of a great team here at the County Council.

No comments: