Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Disposing of Tree Debris

Trees or branches may be disposed as follows:

On Private Property:

~ Tree debris on private property will be collected on a residents’ regular recycling day if it is no more than four-feet in length and four inches in diameter.

~ Bag or bundle tree branches and limbs or place them in containers, keeping bundles less than 45 pounds and less than 30 inches in diameter.

~ Tree debris (up to 500 pounds) that is too large for curbside collection, or cannot be bagged, bundled, or placed in containers can be recycled at no charge to single family home residents at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station, located at 16101 Frederick Road, Derwood. The station will resume normal operating hours on Wednesday.

~Another option is to contact a private company, such a tree service, landscaping or lawn service, for assistance in removing and disposing of storm debris. The Montgomery County Office of Consumer Protection cautions homeowners against using unlicensed home improvement contractors.

~Residents may want to check with their home insurance company, which may cover storm debris removal and disposal.

In the Public Right-of-Way:

~ Montgomery County Department of Transportation crews are collecting trees and branches that have fallen into the public right-of-way.
~ To report tree debris in the public right-of-way, call 311 (or 240-777-0311 from a cell phone).

If live wires are entangled in a tree, a tree is blocking a roadway, the tree is on a structure or if anyone is trapped under a fallen tree, call 911.

No comments: